Playability is the key

Brit, Irish, Canadian, Australian, US and all around the world board. Language: English
SPW
TV soccer watcher

Playability is the key

Post by SPW »

Hello and thanks for this wonderful game. I have been a Sensible Soccer addict ever since the very first version on Amiga and later in Windows. Unfortunately I couldn't play it on Linux and now I got a Mac. But then I found this game which is multi-platform. That's great.

Adding new teams, carreer, online game, make better graphics, etc. may be very interesting, but the key to success of a game like this is playability. That's why I believe you should focus on this. Tackling, headers, etc. are needed. This game is already fun, the only bad thing about it, is that you can't really defend.

Thanks and regards
El Mariachi still lurks!

Post by El Mariachi still lurks! »

Does the word BETA means anything to you?
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Re: Playability is the key

Post by Massimo32 »

SPW wrote:Hello and thanks for this wonderful game.
Hi SPW,
thanks for your compliments.

SPW wrote: ...the key to success of a game like this is playability. That's why I believe you should focus on this. Tackling, headers, etc. are needed. This game is already fun, the only bad thing about it, is that you can't really defend.
You're right and we are aware of this.
Playability is a sort of black magic: many aspects (tactics, player control, AI) are cross-related and it's very diffucult to put all together.
We'll try, time will tell :D

Ciao.
SPW
TV soccer watcher

Post by SPW »

El Mariachi still lurks! wrote:Does the word BETA means anything to you?
I know pretty well what beta means, and for me it is strongly related to feedback, and that's what I did. I only wanted to point out what should be (from my point of view) the priorities during the development process. I don't care if I can play a carreer or network game for now. The next thing I'd love to see is tacklings, etc. Even though it seems to me that these are also the main concerns of the developers I wanted to emphasize that this really is what we need.
fluxy

Highly Addictive!

Post by fluxy »

Hello! I tried Yoda, I am from the new generation so I dont know SWOS or anything as such, but I do like an oldie style game once in a while (they are so cool!) and Yoda is simply astonishingly refreshing (who wants big big grafix that hardly work??) and highly addictive!

I know you folkz have much a do now, like adding things like playability..etc and am really looking forward to it, but it would be nice if you made the database easier to edit. This way you guys could concentrate on the game and the community would take care of the database.

Anyway I played quite a few matches with my bro and we really find Yoda fun!

Cheerz!
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Re: Highly Addictive!

Post by Massimo32 »

Hi fluxy and welcome.
fluxy wrote: but it would be nice if you made the database easier to edit.
Can you make an example of the difficulties that you have met?

Post by Guest »

What I mean is why don't you use something like comma separated values or xml? then it will be possible to use a spreadsheet app or something like that to edit the database, which is much much easier.

You could use a different directory for each league and in each dir you have an individual file(csv/xml) for each team, example:

+[_]Club Teams
-[_]National Teams
-[_]UEFA
-England.xml
-France.xml
-etc.xml
-[_]Foo
-bar.xml

etc

It would hence be easier to add leagues and teams rather than having to scan a whole text file to edit one particular team, it's just an idea.
fluxy
Someone..

It was me

Post by fluxy »

The above post, and the one under "fluxy" nick was mine, i just registered
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Post by Massimo32 »

Anonymous wrote:it will be possible to use a spreadsheet app or something like that to edit the database
That's why the game has an internal editor, dont' you like it?

You can use it to edit almost everything and it can also be useful to tranfer and copy (e.g. from club to national team) players.

You need to use an external editor only to change the division number, which is needed only once in a year.
fluxy
Someone..

Post by fluxy »

Massimo32 wrote:That's why the game has an internal editor, dont' you like it?
Frankly speaking, I don't. It might be practical for 2-3 edits but not for mass edit, and I think the database seriously needs much updating, and it is very tedious to use the internal editor. A spreadsheet would be much much more functional and better

btw what do you use to get the stats of players? I mean what kind of reference/source?
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Post by Massimo32 »

fluxy wrote: It might be practical for 2-3 edits but not for mass edit, and I think the database seriously needs much updating, and it is very tedious to use the internal editor. A spreadsheet would be much much more functional and better
Xml format may be interesting, but at present the database is not a big concern, may be in the future.

But the format is simple and open, so meanwhile someone may prepare a yst<>xml translator.
fluxy wrote: btw what do you use to get the stats of players? I mean what kind of reference/source?
I refer to swos database, but it's not a rule.