BlitzBasic?

Only for the brave!
SergioFontaine
Someone..

BlitzBasic?

Post by SergioFontaine »

I was reading the comments on HappyPenguin, and have to agree with the restrictions to BlitzBasic.

Have the developers considered any other programming language such as FreeBasic (which I agree, will be a great choice) or Python+Pygame?
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Re: BlitzBasic?

Post by Massimo32 »

SergioFontaine wrote:I was reading the comments on HappyPenguin, and have to agree with the restrictions to BlitzBasic.

Have the developers considered any other programming language such as FreeBasic (which I agree, will be a great choice) or Python+Pygame?
This summer I made some benchmarks to compare c++, python and blitzmax. Unfortunately Python+pygame was the slower solution by far. The fastest was c++ with opengl . Also c++ will allow to port the game in various platforms including consoles. I started to write some code, and I realized that the required work is quite big. But with a collaborative development it may be feasible. I´m considering the idea of starting a SVN repository on sourceforge.
SergioFontaine
Someone..

Post by SergioFontaine »

It is a good idea: you developers focus in the current YodaSoccer and people can start experimenting in SVN with C++, Python and (I must insist) FreeBasic, using common parts such as the graphics.

If anything ever comes out, you can think about a parallel development for a while to an eventual blessing of a new implementation as the official one.

Congratulations for the game, anyway! :)
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Post by Massimo32 »

SergioFontaine wrote:and (I must insist) FreeBasic
Why FreeBasic? I visited http://www.freebasic.net but I found only a few games developed using this language.
redbullmarky
Someone..

Post by redbullmarky »

in some ways, a C++ version would be FANTASTIC. I'm sure there are many more out there that could get involved than if the project remained purely BASIC, as there are plenty of Open Source C++ compilers/IDEs' out there (notably GCC with DevC++). Starting another repository would be fantastic.

However, there's something very loyal about using BlitzBasic to re-develop an old Amiga classic which I like :)