Turfs...

Only for the brave!
nw_raptor
Someone..

Turfs...

Post by nw_raptor »

Hello everyone,

Being a Sensi/SWOS fan from, well, 1992, I had made a turf (just for practice) a couple of years back. I gave Yoda Soccer a test a couple of days ago, and, to make a long story short, I found it very promising. There is a lot more to do of course, but it is looking good (from a technical side).

One thing that I think needs a little improvement is the turf and the resolution. Right now it's very low-color (8-bit PNG) and very palette-ed. If we're looking to improve the original Sensi, I think that DirectX/OpenGL is only one step. The next would be to allow high-color turfs (perhaps not depending on palettes) and use 3D models instead of sprites.

Right now, the resolution options works just like in the Windows desktop. Higher resolution will result in "smaller" players/ball/everything. That's because the pixel-size of the players/etc remains the same. In 3D, the model can be resized so it can take up the same amount of realestate. In high resolutions, the 3d model will take up more pixels. That adds to the detail.

With today's monitors and hardware, it would be possible to actually see complex Kits, providing the players are 3d.

In my resolution of 1280x1024, I can see the whole field, and of course, the players look so tiny it's unplayable. So it's 640x480 for me right now :)

I know changing this is going to be difficult, but I think it should be done before you go too deep into this project.

Okay, that aside, as I mentioned above, I had done a turf in Photoshop, just for fun and practice... Well, it seems I deleted it for fun one crazy day, as I cant find it anywhere. I get angry when I find out I deleted something long ago and now need it, so I started from scratch. Here's what I have so far: (btw, the 'shadow' is clearly 100% yoda!)

I'd post the original .psd file (sorry, not vector), but since it's quite big (2075x2950 at about 160MB), I'll post some JPEG dumps, and if you want the original, you can just post back :)

Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Re: Turfs...

Post by Massimo32 »

nw_raptor wrote:Hello everyone,

Being a Sensi/SWOS fan from, well, 1992, I had made a turf (just for practice) a couple of years back. I gave Yoda Soccer a test a couple of days ago, and, to make a long story short, I found it very promising. There is a lot more to do of course, but it is looking good (from a technical side).
Hi nw_raptor, thanks for your compliments.
nw_raptor wrote: One thing that I think needs a little improvement is the turf and the resolution. Right now it's very low-color (8-bit PNG) and very palette-ed. If we're looking to improve the original Sensi, I think that DirectX/OpenGL is only one step. The next would be to allow high-color turfs (perhaps not depending on palettes) and use 3D models instead of sprites.
Well, it's both a technical choice and matter of taste. 3D graphics requires a lot more work (we're a tiny team) and the result isn't always better.
nw_raptor wrote: In my resolution of 1280x1024, I can see the whole field, and of course, the players look so tiny it's unplayable. So it's 640x480 for me right now :)
Yes, but it's also nice, you can choos (in fullscreen) how much of the field to see.
nw_raptor wrote: I know changing this is going to be difficult, but I think it should be done before you go too deep into this project.
Well, we made our choices and yoda soccer will keep the current graphics.
nw_raptor wrote: Okay, that aside, as I mentioned above, I had done a turf in Photoshop, just for fun and practice... Well, it seems I deleted it for fun one crazy day, as I cant find it anywhere. I get angry when I find out I deleted something long ago and now need it, so I started from scratch. Here's what I have so far: (btw, the 'shadow' is clearly 100% yoda!)
Very nice. Remember that in yoda it's quite easy to customize graphics/sounds/etc.. then even if we'll not add you work, you can always do your mod.